Thursday, September 9, 2010

12th Annual Walk for SICKLE CELL AWARENESS

Hello Everyone! I just found from a friend that there's an annual Walk  for Sickle Cell in Central Park on 9/17. Please be aware that Sickle Cell anemia is very close to my heart and I am happy to be part of the walk. I am excited to do the walk not only to meet others with Sickle Cell but also to learn more about it and to have a better understanding of how to help my body with cope with the pain.  Here's a little more information about Sickle Cell that i gather from the web ..........."Sickle cell anemia is an inherited form of anemia — a condition in which there aren't enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen throughout your body.........Normally, your red blood cells are flexible and round, moving easily through your blood vessels. In sickle cell anemia, the red blood cells become rigid, sticky and are shaped like sickles or crescent moons. These irregularly shaped cells can get stuck in small blood vessels, which can slow or block blood flow and oxygen to parts of the body"  Whenever my body is not getting enough oxygen i start to have pain, swollen joints and muscles. Well you might wondering what i do to keep my body healthy, for starters I drink plenty of fluids, eat lots of greens to help my body produce iron, and stay out of the cold...







































SCTPN Family Fun Day 2009
Location: Central Park (Mineral Springs – W 67th Street & Central Park West)
To register it's $20 insite or online and the registration starts at 9am and the walk starts at 11am
http://sctpnwalk.kintera.org

Please help us fight this disease.... Come down to Central Park to show your support.

No comments: